Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation

Świdnica

Foto panorama Świdnica 2

Świdnica is a historical city of over 750 years of tradition and numerous precious historical monuments, located at only 50 km distance from the capital of Lower Silesia, Wroclaw. Thanks to the Old City, well-preserved after the Second World War, Świdnica has been recognized as one of the most precious historical cities of Poland. Location at the heart of Europe, on important trade routes, as well as, famous throughout Europe, goods as, among others, beer and cloth, enabled Świdnica to became the capital of the Duchy of Jawor-Świdnica in the times of its biggest glory (12th-15th centuries).

Currently, Świdnica is a modern and friendly city. It is distinguished by a historical, compact building pattern and the market place's urban arrangement which has not been modified since the medieval times. Colourful tenement houses gracing the heart of the city, sculptured fountains, romantic illuminations and a city hall tower rebuilt after 45 years create the unique ambience of this place. You can use an observation deck of the city hall tower to enjoy the view of the city and the surrounding areas, and, weather permitting, even the highest peak of Surety Mountains, Śnieżka. The main tourist attraction of Świdnica is the Church of Peace under the invocation of the Holy Trinity dating back to the 17th century – it is the largest wooden temple of Europe inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List. Its fairylike, sumptuous decor encompassed by a modest, half-timbered block made of wood, clay, sand and straw is impressive to everyone. When you visit Świdnica it is hard not to notice 101.5 metre tower of the St. Stanislaus and St. Wenceslaus Cathedral overlooking the city. The monumental, gothic edifice fascinates the visitors with its immensity and baroque decor. What is more, the remnants of Świdnica Fortress, especially Nowomłyńska Flèche or the recently renovated historical railway station which has become a gem of the city, are worth visiting. All the most interesting places in Świdnica can be visited by using the City Tour Route which, among others, includes the Former Guesthouse of Krzeszów Abbots, House under the Bulls, relics of Świdnica Fortress – the roundel of Strzegomska Gate or the only in Poland - Museum of Former Trade.

The gem of the Silesian baroque. Compared to other cities, the architecture of Świdnica is distinguished by extremely high saturation of baroque elements – probably the highest in this part of Silesia and Europe. The rich, unique baroque decor can be, most of all, found inside the churches (Church of Peace under the invocation of the Holy Trinity, St. Stanislaus and St. Wenceslaus Cathedral, St. Joseph Church) and on tenement houses' facades ( e.g. Rynek 6, Rynek 7 – "Pod Złotą Koroną" [Under the Golden Crown], Rynek 8 – "Pod Złotym Chłopkiem" [Under Golden Boy], Rynek 15 – "Pod Głową św. Jana Chrzciciela" [Under the Head of St. John the Baptist], Rynek 25 – "Kamienica von Hochbergów" [von Hochberg Family's Tenement House], Rynek 32 – "Kamienica pod Orłami" [Tenement House under the Eagles]). This style is also dominating in case of smaller forms as sculptures, fountains and other details which jointly contribute to the image of the city. On the other hand, excellent acoustics of the baroque interiors of the Church of Peace make it a perfect location for the annual International Bach Festival which offers the best baroque music performers from various countries.

Świdnica is also a place of interesting cultural and sports events. On each first Sunday of the month, there is the Antiques, Numismatic Coins and Curiosities Fair taking place - one of the oldest and biggest events of that type in Poland. In spring and summer, tourists and residents participate in the Świdnicki Krause Rally, Wild Boar Festival, Świdnica Days Celebration, Open Theatre Festival or International Bach Festival. On the other hand, in autumn, enthusiasts of good movies meet at the Spectrum Film Festival and, in winter, the Market Square offers the Christmas Fair – time of Christmas carol singing in Świdnica. Świdnica is worth visiting all year long! You are welcome to visit us!

Church of Peace under the invocation of the Holy Trinity, listed by the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage. It is considered the biggest wooden temple of Europe as it can hold approximately 7500 people. Simultaneously, it is one of the two (the other one is in Jawor) Churches of Peace preserved in the world. The half-timbered edifice was constructed on Greek-cross plan. The interiors of the Church enchant the visitors with baroque decor with special focus on two sets of baroque organs. The most precious components of baroque furnishings are the main altar and the pulpit as well as family boxes of meritorious townsmen and rulers of Świdnica Land. The Church is surrounded with a complex of historical monuments of the Square of Peace: bell-tower, watchman's house, presbytery and Evangelical cemetery. All the buildings come from the 17th century and are example of the specific half-timbered constructions. The cemetery is the burial place of, among others, the designer of the first tennis racket on the European continent and J.S. Bach's disciple - the former church's organist. 

Contact details: Pl. Pokoju 6, 58 – 100 Świdnica
phone: +48 74 852-28-14, +48 603-331-578, www.kosciolpokoju.pl
Opening hours:
April – October Monday – Saturday 9:00 – 18:00, Sunday – 12:00 – 18:00
November – March – Mo – Sa 10:00 – 15:00, Su – 12:00 – 15:00
Tickets: Regular – PLN 10, Discount – PLN 5, Organised groups - PLN 8

 

St. Stanislaus and St. Wenceslaus Cathedral. The Gothic church from the 14th century with the enchanting decor and tower with a height of  101.5 m (the highest in Lower Silesia and the fifth highest in Poland) constitutes a distinguishing feature of the city. Inside, there is the impressive main altar, based on the one found in Van-de-Grace Church in Paris, as well as the Gothic Assumption of Mary Altar  based on the Veit Stoss' altar in St. Mary's Basilica in Kraków, which are especially attractive to the eye. At the foot of the Cathedral, there are the remnants of Frederick fortifications from the second half of the 18th century. Thanks to the initiative of Pope John Paul II, on 23 March 2004, the former diocese church became the Cathedral and the seat of a new diocese.

Contact details: Pl. Jana Pawła II 2, 58 – 100 Świdnica
phone: +48 530-853-425 (office), +48 720-101-606 (cathedral guide),
e-mail: katedra.swidnica@gmail.com - www.katedra.swidnica.pl

 

Museum of Former Trade. It was established in 1967 as the reference to the trade tradition of the city. The museum shows exhibits related to the history of the trade as: scales, weights and furnishings of the former grocer's, pharmacy, scale house and trading standards office. In the Gothic Councilmen Room, there are precious paintings from the 16th century showing the Judgment of the Harlot, Judgment Day and Crucifixion. You can also find here the scale model of the 17th century Świdnica and many interesting exhibits related to the past of the city. Before the entrance, you should join Maria Kunic, the first female astronomer, sitting on the bench.

Contact details: Rynek 37, 58 – 100 Świdnica
phone: +48 74 852-12-91, www.muzeum-kupiectwa.pl
Opening hours:
May – September
Tuesday – Friday 10:00 – 17:00, Saturday – Sunday 11:00 – 17:00
October – April
Tuesday – Friday 10:00 – 16:00, Saturday – Sunday 11:00 – 17:00
Ticket price: Regular – PLN 6,00, Discount – PLN 4,00, Guide – PLN 30, museum lessons – PLN 30, Friday - admission free

City Hall Tower. After the rebuilding that took place between 2010 and 2012, it is towering the Świdnica Market Square. The first city hall tower was built in Świdnica already in the Middle Ages. Over the centuries, the tower suffered the effects of natural disasters and wars and was repeatedly rebuilt to assume its most recognised appearance in  1763-65. It graced the Świdnica Market Square for 202 years till the ill-fated day of 5 January 1967 when after the clock struck 15:15 hour, it slid down on the adjacent buildings. The building of the city hall tower is almost 58 m high and has got 10 floors. The building has been decorated with a clock which components seen from the outside have been based on the original appearance before the tower collapsed. The new tower is crowned with a cupola with a spire with a characteristic ball.

Contact details: ul. Wewnętrzna 4, 58-100 Świdnica
phone: +48 730-796-626, www.wieza.swidnica.pl
Opening hours:
Everyday from 10:00 to 18:00
Ticket price: Regular – PLN 2,00, Discount – PLN 1,00, children under 6 years admission free

The Family House of Manfred von Richthofen – flying ace of the I World War. The residence located at ul. Sikorskiego 19. The family house of Manfred von Richthofen  - a flying ace of the I World War who is officially credited with 80 air combat victories. He was shot down on 21 April 1918 over Morlancourt Pass, near Somme, France.  Between 1933  and 1945 there was a museum located in the residence dedicated to Richthofen, with five rooms on the first floor. The exhibition, among others, showed:  orders, parts of Allied airplanes, weapon and military trophies. After the war ended, the exhibits went missing. In the garden, you can still find a memorial plaque dedicated to Richthofen and a stone, commemorating his death, founded in 1918 by the residents.

Contact details: ul. Sikorskiego 19, 58-100 Świdnica


Created 21.2.2018 16:55:25 | read 2921x | ernest
 
load